Sunday, September 25, 2011

Staying at Home

This will be short, but it's today's thought. I had a conversation with someone where I was explaining that Husband is gone, this person asked, "Oh, so what are you doing?" To which I replied, "Well, hanging out with this one (I was holding Sophie) and managing stuff at home." There was a pause, then "oh...so you don't work or anything?" Sigh. I know this person was well-meaning and asking a valid question (although the wording could have been different), but this response is still a bit frustrating. I DO work. At home. I manage all aspects of care for a 6 month old baby- 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. I don't get vacation days or sick days or summer break. I also take care of three dogs (which involves two separate walks a day, meals, keeping track of meds and flea treatments, food, and potty breaks. Also the occasional steaming of rugs when they go inside the house.) I keep track of finances and pay bills while Husband is gone. I grocery shop, and meal plan and make baby food. I clean. I do yard work. So yes, I do actually do quite a bit of work. And I love that this is my work right now.

I am actually quite blessed to be able to stay at home with my daughter. I know people that would love to be able to but can't for financial reasons, etc. So I am so thankful for this (and my Husband for making it possible), but please understand, I'm not sitting around watching soap operas all day, and neither are my other stay at home mom friends!

1 comment:

  1. Ha ha!! I've SOOO been there! People give you the look of "So...what DO you do all day?" Oh, I don't know, raising the future of the world? I could be raising your future cardiologist, so you'd better hope I'm putting some work into raising them. I usually try and throw something sarcastic out like that to stop them in their tracks. You're doing a great job, momma. Be encouraged :)

    ReplyDelete